Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Receiving Nothing From God

That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do. James 1:7-8

The first verse is scary to me. When I recognize everything God has given me, I abhor the idea of Him removing His favor and gifts. I'm not talking material things, although He also provides those, but the times He's moved in my life and brought me to places I couldn't have imagined. The peace, the joy of His presence, small (in my sight,they're all small to the creator of the world) miracles. If I got to a place where I didn't expect to receive anything from God, I'd be hopeless indeed.

This verse comes on the heals of "when you ask, believe and do not doubt." It's doubt that often keeps us from receiving the things God has in store for us. The already gift-wrapped packages we refuse when we don't believe Him.

Recently, I experienced a moment of doubt. Not in God, but in what He was going to do. I said I trusted Him, I encouraged others to trust Him, but I still tried to work out a few details on my own. Fortunately, God showed me very quickly that He is in charge and would take care of things His way. He might even have a better plan than mine. I stepped out of the way. I'd rather have what He has in store.

My desire is to be the opposite of double-minded and unstable. I want to believe God and walk on the firm footing of the path He's prepared for me. Sometimes I stumble, but I refocus my eyes on Him and pray for Him to help my unbelief, and He gently nudges me back on His path.

No comments:

Post a Comment