Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sing Praise to the Lord

Psalm 104:33 I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

The Bible is full of radical statements and this is not the least of them. At first glance it can bring warm, fuzzy feelings and pictures of arms raised in praise. Singing joyfully, whole-heartedly, passionately.

While I'm sure the psalmist had some of these feelings in mind, a closer look at this verse reveals its radical nature.

All my life. As long as I live. Think about waht that might entail. Losing a child. I will sing to the LORD. Being betrayed and abandoned by a spouse. I will sing praise. Coping with chronic pain. Praise the LORD, O my soul (v.1.) Losing every material item you've eer owned to a natural disaster such as a tornado or flood. May the glory of the LORD endure forever (v.31.) The loss of a job. The loss of sight. The loss of agility. The loss of being able to take care of yourself. Hallelu Yah. Praise the LORD!

Now that's radical. It's not easy, but nor is it impossible.

When we remember the things God has done - He set the eart on its foundations (v.5), He makes springs pour water into ravines (v.10), He makes grass grow for the cattle (v.14), He knows the number of hairs on our heads (Luke 12:7) - Who He is - the LORD is great and clothed in splendor and majesty (v.1), He is a wise creator, God is love (1 John 4:6), He is faithful (Isaiah 30:18) - and that He is in control of everything, we will be able to sing praises to the LORD ALL OUR LIVES!

No comments:

Post a Comment