Thursday, August 5, 2010

Mommy Perseverance Part 1

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

This is one of those scriptures that I look at and think, "boy, that looks simple." But when I try to apply it to my life every day, day in and day out, I fail miserably. I forget what others have gone through despite times of strong faith. I get entagled - easily. And I get tired of running the race. Fortunately, I've learned never to give up. I may take some time to recover after falling off the provervial horse, but I do eventually get back up on it.

In this verse, it is pointed out that we as Christians are surrounded by witnesses to God's promises and faithfulness (I recently finished the book based on this verse by John Maxwell: Running with the Giants.) This statement comes after a listing of many of the prominent figures of faith in the old testament. A review of these individuals lives is encouraging, not only because of what God did in their lives and the testimony their stories are to His awesome character, but also because they are very much imperfect - just like me. When my tendency is to beat myself up, or mull over the most recent mistake I've made (in parenting or in life in general), the great cloud of witnesses remind me to return my focus to God, ask for His mercy, and get back on track.

Sin and other things do easily entangle us. The moment we're not on alert, they sneak up from behind and act like our friend. I think especially for us women who have hormones to deal with, we are vulnurable to letting the flesh take over. "I'm hormonal! Leave me alone!" we yell in one way or another. But this is not the Spirit of God talking, it is us allowing the flesh to take over and rule our lives. And no, thank you!! My hormones are too unstable. I do not want them to be in charge. Therefore, I must remind myself constantly to throw them off before they entangle me and cause me to fall into a trap of sin. That doesn't mean I don't feel my feelings. It simply means that I ask the Holy Spirit to take over and help me not to act on those feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment