Friday, December 17, 2010

More on the Wise Men

And having been warned in a dream not to go back to Herod, they returned to their country by another route. Matthew 2:12

Does God every change your planned course? He's done it to me more times than I can count. When I was nineteen, He pulled the rug out from under my plans on who I intended to marry and the college I planned to go to attend until graduation. He moved me across the country, within a year also changed what degree I aimed for, and introduced me to a wonderful man about a week after I swore off dating(who, by the way, is now my husband of almost 9 years.)

He had me wait way longer to get married than I desired, called me to stay at home full time after having my second child (after having earned a Master's Degree and starting my career, which I never planned to leave,) and gave me a whole new career path just before I turned thirty.

Those are only a sampling of the big things in which God's changed my planned course. There have been many small things along the way, also.

The wise men listened to God about changing their planned course. Having found and honored the Christ child, they packed up to head home. However, God had made it clear to them in a dream that Herod wasn't the trustworthy, honoring God type of guy and they needed to avoid him like the plague. It's like the wasp's nest that makes me go around the fort outside, instead of underneath it.

We don't know exactly how long the Wise Men's journey was, but most think it took them quite a while. Surely they had come the most direct route and, to avoid Herod, had to take a much longer route home. Sometimes, that's how God has me do things, too.

I'd much rather accomplish things the quick and easy way, but He knows me best and has greater rewards in store for me when I take His route. I learn more along the way. I appreciate the hard work and challenges that others face. And, I'm sure, a time or two, I've avoided a situation that could have been detrimental to me or someone else.

I don't always like to change course. I used to dig my heels in and resist change with all my might. God has taught me (you tell me whether I'm a fast or slow learner from the many examples above) that if I'm leaving Him in the driver's seat, the destination will be well worth the trip getting there. Now, I only get my feathers ruffled temporarily before moving on. I hope one day, I can fully submit, and be completely willing to travel whatever route God calls me to. Even if it's different than the one I had planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment