Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Treasured Moments

But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. Luke 2:19

In the hustle-bustle, always-something-to-do environment of being a mom there are scant moments to sit and treasure. I can barely imagine the wonder, excitement, and astonishment that Mary felt as she held the newborn Jesus. The child who had been conceived in her womb by the Holy Spirit. The promised Savior.

Shephards came. Angels sang. Animals (most likely) brayed and whinnied close by.

Mary treasured and pondered.

It makes me ask the question of myself - how often do I treasure moments with my children? How often do I ponder them and lock them away in my heart?

Not as often as I'd like, but more than none. Just the other day I played, kissed, and tickled my 1-year-old as we walked downstairs for a snack. I laid down and read next to my 7-year-old reading also. I stole sugars from my 3-year-old and I held my 5-year-old for an extra long hug. These are the moments I treasure.

Even though I've been steeped in diapers and runny noses for almost 8 years, I know this time will slip away in the blink of an eye. Especially if I allow myself to be too distracted by other things. I'm grateful, most gratefully during the holiday season, to be reminded to stop, treasure, and ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment