Saturday, December 11, 2010

Preparing for Christmas

Because of God's tender mercy, the morning light from heaven is about to break upon us, to give light to those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, and to guide us to the path of peace. Luke 1:78-79

This is how Zechariah, John the Baptist's father, prepared for the birth of Jesus the Messiah. He, in his old age, and long convinced that he would die childless, celebrates the birth of his own son by looking towards the Christ child.

How am I preparing for Christmas? Am I preparing to celebrate the birth of the Christ child? I'm working diligently on Christmas cards, preparing for a family Christmas party, checking my list to make sure I haven't forgotten anyone, and have decorated. How much time am I focusing on the miracle God performed when He brought His eternal Son into this world through the humble birth of a baby? Not much.

But, thankfully, He gave me this reminder, along with many celebrations at church to remind me.

Jesus came because of God's tender mercy. That makes me want to lean back in His arms, look up lovingly and say, "thank You" over and over again. I am truly the worst of sinners and nowhere close to deserve His mercy, yet He gives it freely. When God said "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy," He didn't mean He'd withhold it from those who deserved it. No. He meant He'd offer it to those who don't deserve it. He'd even offer it to those we don't think deserve it. His mercy truly is tender.

If I'm sitting in darkness and chaos, He tells me that He offers peace. That includes during the Christmas season, which is an even more difficult time for those who've recently lost loved ones, don't have a positive support network, or struggle with discouragement, depression, and distraction. The answer to all of these is to sit at the feet of Jesus, who's birth we are to remember and celebrate during this time, and allow Him to supply for all our needs. He knows our needs, and we simply have to let Him fulfill them. In the form of a baby - born humbly, completely man and completely God. And He will guide us to the path of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment