Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Revelation Prayer Devotion Day 10

Day 10


Scripture focus: And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: “The words of him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your works. You have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up, and strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your works complete in the sight of God. Remember, then, what you received and heard. Keep it, and repent. If you will not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what hour I will come against you. Yet you have still a few names in Sardis, people who have not spoiled their garments, and they will walk with me in white, for they are worthy. The one who conquers will be clothed thus in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
Revelation 3:1-6

Application: Five out of the seven letters to the specific churches found at the beginning of Revelation begin with these words: “I know your works…” In previous letters, and in the next one, these words are followed by encouragement. In this and the last letter, however, these words are meant to cut straight to the heart of the readers. There is no comfort in being reminded that God knows everything when we are dead inside.

I cringe at the thought of taking these words too lightly. Of passing over them briefly without allowing God to use His Word to examine my heart. During the last nine weeks, there have been many opportunities for you and I to open ourselves before the Lord and have Him purge what needs to be excised and plant what needs to be nurtured. Yet, He is not done. There is no plateau in a relationship with God. There are always deeper issues to be dug into and higher places to go. This is such an opportunity.
Throughout many sermons I’ve listened to and discussions I’ve participated in, the question of how we do church and how it compares to the biblical model for the Church seems to continue to come up. People have various preferences and desires for worship style, location, programs, preaching style, and discipleship. We tend to base our opinions on our backgrounds, education, church experience, and perceived successes or failures. However, this scripture gives us a perfect opportunity to examine how we “do” church – both individually and corporately.

That a church can have a phenomenal reputation yet be dead to Kingdom works should raise an alarm in us. It is much easier to look upon other church bodies, other denominations, other people and point out how they are lacking in spiritual fruit and growth. It is much more difficult to turn our gaze inward and be willing to sacrifice any beloved church ministry or way of doing church. This is the very problem Jesus constantly pointed out in the Pharisees and Sadducees: they knew the scripture and followed the letter of the law while neglecting the heart of the law – to love God and people. They most likely had a reputation of being alive within the larger church, but Jesus called them whitewashed tombs. They were dead inside.

Could it be that we are more like them than we’re comfortable considering? Could we be clinging to a way of doing church more than God’s vision for us being the church? Could we be pushing the Gospel aside to have great programs? Could we be failing to make disciples because we’re too focused on feeding ourselves? Could we be missing the leading of the Holy Spirit because we’re following rules and regulations according to human teachings? Could we be forgetting the ends of the earth because of being too comfortable at home? Could we be missing out on the best God has for us for the good that is before us?
Let us be a people who hears what the Lord is saying to us and stay alert to who He wants us to be.

Prayer: Oh, God! Wake me up! Strengthen me! Let You be my greatest love and the Gospel be my greatest mission. Make me uncomfortable. Reveal to me if I’m dead in my works. I forego any reputation I have with anyone other than You. Teach me to walk in Your ways of righteousness. Remind me that bringing glory to Your name by living a holy life and sharing Your salvation with others is why I am here. It doesn’t matter what that looks like. Make me who You desire me to be. Use the unique gifts, talents, and abilities You’ve given me to bring glory, honor, and praise to Your name. Thank You, Jesus for confessing my name before the Father. Let me respond to the worthiness You poured out on me by grace through faith by letting go of everything that doesn’t expand Your Kingdom.

Reflection questions/prayer prompts:

In what areas or ways have I placed too much importance or emphasis on my reputation in the world?

What works am I putting my efforts into might God be asking me to give up or alter?

Lord, by the power of Your Spirit, help me remember the grace I received and Gospel I heard through Your Word.

Where might my preferences and perceptions of how church is to be done be hindering the spread of the Gospel?

How can I be more focused on who God desires the church to be rather than what I think the church should do?

Lord God, I praise You for writing my name in the book of life.

Father, what are You saying that You want me to hear today?

No comments:

Post a Comment