Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Revelation Prayer Devotion Day 4


Day 4

Scripture focus: Then I turned to see the voice that was speaking to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white, like white wool, like snow. His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, from his mouth came a sharp two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining in full strength.
Revelation 1:12-16

This is one of the most fascinating descriptions of Jesus given in scripture. We generally think of Him looking as a young man, flawless, strong, and with loving eyes, as we’ve seen in pictorial representations. I think there’s a good reason we don’t know exactly what Jesus looked like when He walked this earth and wore human skin for just over three decades. His human face did not define Him. I often wonder, because of prophetic descriptions of the Christ, if He wasn’t the complete opposite of what we might call handsome. I imagine He was unassuming, someone who’d be overlooked without the miracles and great wisdom that attracted people to Him. What that looked like in details though, we’ll never know.

Then we get this amazing, awe-inspiring description of the resurrected, powerful, holy Christ. Much of the description seems symbolic, and it all fits in various messages Jesus sends to the churches, but I think the physical descriptions were actual. I try to picture it in my head, and fall short. I looked up artists’ renditions of their translating these elements, and they all too fell short. Because we cannot imagine Jesus in all His glory and power and dominion. It is too much for us.

Yet, He gives John this glimpse to pass on to us. A glimpse that is hard for us to imagine, but yet gives great insight to the victorious Jesus who is coming to judge. I think of His white hair. In our culture age is not revered and correlated with wisdom, but I imagine Jesus’ white hair represents his wisdom. And His holiness. White is often used in scripture to talk about how His sacrificial death washes us white as snow – just like His hair is described here. I consider His voice like the roar of many waters. A sound that reverberates and supersedes anything else. It filled the whole space and washed away any other sound, yet John was able to understand Jesus’ words clearly.

There is so much in this short section of verses! I hope you take time this week to meditate on this image Jesus presents of Himself and God blesses you with a greater understanding of Him.

Prayer: Holy, Almighty Lord, when You speak, let me turn toward Your voice to get a clearer picture of You. Help me to remember You have all wisdom and offer to give me wisdom for my life freely if I ask. Give me wisdom, Lord, for the big and small choices I face! You alone can hold all the stars, all people, all planets, and the very breath in my lungs. The sun You created is too much for me to look at, yet Your brilliance and light far out pass the sun I can see. Thank You for Your Word, grace, mercy, perfect love, and redemption of my life. Thank You for being the light to show me the next step, then the next, and the next. Amen.

Reflection questions/prayer prompts:

Do I see Jesus as He presents Himself in all of scripture, or do I see Him as He’s been presented by others’ or my own ideas?

Do I seek wisdom from other people or experts first, rather than from God first and foremost?

God, help me to remember You are passionate for me and You desire that my desires be for You and Your Kingdom.

Do I see Jesus as the light that directs my steps in this life and the light that is the Way to eternal life?

Jesus, speak to me with a roar that will drown out all the distractions, deceptions, and discouragements I face in this life.

How can I open my heart and mind to God for Him to divide the marrow and bone of who I am with His Word?

God, You are all-powerful. Help me to not just give mental assent to this truth about You, but live according to this truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment