Friday, June 8, 2018

Revelation Prayer Devotion Day 2


Day 2


Scripture focus: John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen. Behold, he is coming with the clouds, and every eye will see him, even those who pierced him, and all the tribes of the earth will wail on account of him. Even so. Amen. “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”
Revelation 1:4-8

Application: What a greeting! We haven’t even gotten into the meat of this letter John wrote to the churches and there’s enough theology in these few lines to contemplate for a weeks. This one passage is full and rich of revealing who Jesus is. He is. He was. He is to come. He has no beginning and no end. He is eternal. He rules earthly kings. He loves us. He has freed us. He is almighty. There is nothing beyond His capabilities.

I almost don’t know where to begin. Therefore, it would be a good idea to reread this whole passage and highlight anything that sticks out to you. What’s God trying to make clear to you?
Could it be that He has the power to move in your life in ways you can’t imagine? Is it that He is calling you to a deeper understanding of His perfect, kind, never-ending love for you? Perhaps He wants to remind you that every single sin you’ve ever committed or even thought about was washed away, made as white as snow, when He poured out His blood and drank the wrath of God for you. That even those things you haven’t forgiven yourself for, God has freed you from – completely and totally. Maybe God wants to remind you that He is the beginning of (the Author of) your faith and will bring that faith unto completion. Possibly He could be reminding you that He’s coming again and all will see Him and the truth of who He is. Or is He drawing out some other truth about Himself to you in this passage?

With the often hard messages John was about to share with the churches, indeed also with us, isn’t it amazing that he begins with greetings and blessings of grace and peace? It’s almost as if God wanted to make sure the receivers of the convicting, commending, and correcting He was about to speak through John’s letter were completely grounded in who He is. To remember God is Lord. That Jesus is God. That even His rebukes are because of His love. And that when He calls out some in His church for embracing, endorsing, or engaging in sin, it is covered in His love and forgiveness. Yet He will not wink at or ignore that sin. What a gift that He calls us out of sin, gives us His power to defeat sin, and wipes it all clean!

Prayer: Holy Father, Your grace and mercy overwhelm me. There is nothing – not one thought or action – I can hide from You. Yet you have completely freed me from my sins by Your blood. You and You alone deserve glory forever. I praise Your name! By Your might I will stand in my faith. Thank You for the peace of living in Your forgiveness. I wait with eager anticipation for Your coming. Open my eyes to how I can reflect Your glory and goodness to everyone You bring into my life, even those present only briefly. Stir discontent in my heart with those around me who don’t know You. Let me remember they will see You in all Your glory one day and to be in a position to praise You, not wail and mourn because they missed You. You alone are God. Amen.

Reflection Questions/Prayer Prompts:


God, what do You want me to see more clearly about You and Your character?

Is there something I need to acknowledge or repent of in order to experience Your grace and peace in full?

Father, help me to remember that the rulers and kings of this earth are under Your authority.

Is there anything prohibiting me from experiencing the fullness of Your love in my life?

Lord, You have flung open the doors of the prison my sin held me in. Help me see if I haven’t stepped out of that prison to live in the fullness of the freedom You have provided.


Is there a deeper part of me that I haven’t surrendered fully to your grace, love, and mercy?


How can I share the work you’ve done in my heart and life in the last week to bring You glory and love others better?


No comments:

Post a Comment