Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Revelation Prayer Devotion Day 7


Day 7


Scripture focus: And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: ‘The words of the first and the last, who died and came to life. I know your tribulation and your poverty (but you are rich) and the slander of those who say that they are Jews and are not, but are a synagogue of Satan. Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to throw some of you into prison, that you may be tested, and for ten days you will have tribulation. Be faithful unto death, and I will give you the crown of life. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. The one who conquers will not be hurt by the second death.’
Revelation 2:1-7

Application: When we read a passage like this we may have several different reactions. One may be that we can’t relate because we are not being persecuted and threatened with death for our faith. Another may be a focus on our personal hard times of spiritual drought, difficult relationships, or financial struggles. Still a third may be that people who are religious but lack evidence of spiritual fruit or maturity come to mind. Maybe the changes of values in our country which have begun to impact the freedom to express our faith in public ways press forward in our thoughts. Possibly all of the above. However, this passage offers so much more.

First, this is one of two letters in Revelation to the churches that contains no rebuke. Given the state of the churches and the issues addressed in each individual letter, chances are if we’re not the church under great tribulation, God has a rebuke for us. What might that be?

Second, Jesus reminds His people in this letter that He is the beginning and end of everything. He knows everything about us – individually and as a church body. There is nothing that happens outside His sovereignty. Even persecution and financial poverty. He also reminds His people that when they have Him and seek His Kingdom, we are rich in the truest sense. We have wealth that cannot be stolen or destroyed. These believers were facing prison, and from what I’ve learned, when they were thrown in prison there was typically a ten day holding period before they were put to death. So their ten days of tribulation might have been starvation, beating, harassment to recant their faith. Then they would be put to death. But God reminds them (and us) that when we hold fast to our faith in Him, He grants us the crown of life – life eternal with Him. The greatest gift of all.

He also reminds us that the devil is the one behind the schemes of attacking Jesus followers. Whether it’s actual prison, emotional prison, feeling trapped by unhealthy relationships, or financial poverty, we are in more of a spiritual battle than a physical one. The same is true when we experience other personal or corporate trials as a church. While our arguments, loss of trust, anger, and disappointments may produce real feelings bread out of real circumstances created by real people, it is all rooted in spiritual battle. We do not war with flesh and blood, but the principalities of this world. Therefore, the only way to wage war on evil, sin, broken relationships, disunity, doubt, depression, or discouragement is to fix our focus on the One who is the First and the Last and all the promises in Him, which are “yes and amen.”
  
Prayer: Jesus, You are holy, righteous, and truly good. You are the first and the last, the beginning, the end, and everything in between. Let me never forget that You conquered death and through faith, You have gifted me to not only conquer over eternal death, but also the small deaths that seem to come as part of this world. There is nothing You don’t see. There is nothing for me to fear because anything I experience in this life is temporary. I praise You for Your gift of life and sovereignty in it. Let me never focus on my trials, tribulations, or trying relationships, but help me keep my eyes fixed on You. You know all. Help me never to forget that.

Reflection questions/prayer prompts:

How can I keep my focus on Jesus and giving Him the praise He deserves each and every day?

Lord, help me never forget that You know. You know my pain, my trials, my struggles, my sin, my heart. Reveal and let me hear clearly what You want me to know about You, about myself, and about others.

Fear is rooted in a lack of complete faith and trust in the Lord. Is there an area of fear in my life that I haven’t surrendered to God and His sovereignty?

Jesus, when I suffer, help me to hold fast to my faith in You. Grow me. Mold me. Make me more like You.

How can I keep the crown of life Jesus will give me more clear in my mind than my current circumstances?

Father God, let me hear what You are saying to the churches, to my home church.

Nothing is more important than living for God’s glory. How can I live to bring Him more glory today?

No comments:

Post a Comment