Monday, June 18, 2018

Revelation Prayer Devotion Day 6


Day 6

Scripture focus: “Write this letter to the angel of the church in Ephesus. This is the message from the one who holds the seven stars in his right hand, the one who walks among the seven gold lampstands: I know all the things you do. I have seen your hard work and your patient endurance. I know you don’t tolerate evil people. You have examined the claims of those who say they are apostles but are not. You have discovered they are liars. You have patiently suffered for me without quitting. But I have this complaint against you. You don’t love me or each other as you did at first! Look how far you have fallen! Turn back to me and do the works you did at first. If you don’t repent, I will come and remove your lampstand from its place among the churches. But this is in your favor: You hate the evil deeds of the Nicolaitans, just as I do. Anyone with ears to hear must listen to the Spirit and understand what he is saying to the churches. To everyone who is victorious I will give fruit from the tree of life in the paradise of God.”
Revelation 2:1-7

Application: God knows. And He sees. This is great encouragement! Often we labor in our faith and feel like no one recognizes our effort. Most of life isn’t made up of the great events or works that are seen by others, but in the daily “hard work and…patient endurance.” No human sees when we get up early to spend time with God. Often no person sees when we sacrifice time or money or pleasure to feed into someone else’s life. Going to work and completing our tasks with excellence usually is expected and not praised. There’s seldom reward for cooking meals, mowing the lawn, washing clothes, cleaning house, changing the oil, changing a diaper. These are tasks that make up the dailyness of life and we do because they need to be done. However, God sees it all and knows the things we do. He sees us volunteer in the nursery. He knows when we get to church early to greet people. He observes us when we meet with and encourage another believer who is struggling. He is watching when we gather in small groups to pray over and discuss decisions for our faith family. He is not absent when we make a pot of coffee, sweep a floor, or give a hug. God knows all the ways we serve people. When we refuse to compromise His standards for the world’s values. When we hold fast to His truth in a corrupt and capitulating culture. None of this escapes His notice.

Neither does our motivation and heart for our works. It is easy to get wrapped up in our life routines of work, school, parenting, grandparenting, running around, and serving and lose our love for God and people. We slip into a mode of survival instead of victorious living. We fall out of loving God and others with a passionate love. A love that comes first and foremost and serves as the impetus for the things we do. Have we, have I, forgotten to love God as I did at first? You know what a “love at first” is like: passionate, joyful, willing, energizing, enthusiastic, all-encompassing. When we first recognize God’s grace, mercy, and forgiveness, we are compelled and excited to love Him back, spend time with Him, share His love with others, and are empowered to love them well. As time moves on and the everydayness of life creeps in, it can crowd out and dampen the flames of our love for God and others. Yet, we are still working. In our own strength. According to our own ideas. For our own purposes.
But God.

He desires our hearts. Our love. Our complete devotion to Him, reliance on His strength, surrender to His ways, and focus on His purposes. And out of that love and devotion the fruit His Spirit will then blossom and feed our everyday labors.

Prayer: Father, thank You for the reminder that You see. You see my works. You see when I don’t give up. You see when I stand up for You. You see how I labor when no one else does. You know my heart. Thank You that Your steadfast love endures forever and that You continually call me to love You first. Show me where my love has waned. Reveal to me where my works and labors have thrown water on the fire of my love for You. Continue to call me to spend time with You, to dwell in You, abide in You. Shower me with Your love so I can in return love You with all of my heart, soul, mind, body, and spirit. Overflow my heart with Your love in order to enable me to love others around me well. To love them in such a way that’s best for them: for their good and Your glory. Give me ears to hear Your Holy Spirit and understand. I praise You for the victory You give in this life and the fruit of eternal life You have prepared for me in the next. To Your name be all honor and praise and glory. Amen.

Reflection questions/prayer prompts:

Lord, help me to remember that You see and know all and that my works and labors are to be done unto You.

Am I examining the claims made by all who call themselves Christians and evaluating them based on God’s Word?

Have I fallen from loving God first with a first kind of love?

Of what is God calling me to repent?

Jesus, never let me forget that You command an army of angels and walk amongst Your church. You are here with us and have unfathomable power!

What are the “works” the Lord wants me to do? What are some “works” that He may be calling me to lay down or let go?

Almighty God, thank You for preparing my heart to hear Your Spirit. Prepare it every day and help me to have understanding of Your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment