Friday, June 29, 2018

Revelation Prayer Devotion Day 11


Day 11

Scripture focus: And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: “The words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens. I know your works. Behold, I have set before you an open door, which no one is able to shut. I know that you have but little power, and yet you have kept my word and have not denied my name. Behold, I will make those of the synagogue of Stan who say that they are Jews and are not, but lie – behold, I will make them come and bow down before your feet, and they will learn that I have loved you. Because you have kept my word about patient endurance, I will keep you from the hour of trial that is coming on the whole world, to try those who dwell on the earth. I am coming soon. Hold fast what you have, so that no one may seize your crown. The one who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.”
Revelation 3:7-13

Application: What Jesus says and does is final. There isn’t a power on earth or in heaven that can undo what He does. This is how the letter to Philadelphia begins, with Jesus reminding the readers of His holiness, truth, and power. This is the second letter with no condemnation in it, but only encouragement. Like the letter to the church in Smyrna, Jesus’ followers are facing trials. Yet Jesus knows. And in comparison to the little power the church has on its own, the Lord declares His undefeatable power.

Another theme we see popping up again in this letter is the emphasis on patient endurance. Something many of us would rather not discuss. Much less consider praying for. Instead, many joke about not praying for patience because God will bring circumstances that provide the opportunity to learn it. None of us want to wait and develop patience. We live in an instant gratification culture. We aren’t used to waiting for much of anything. In the world of drive-thru food, instant microwave cooking, and free two day shipping, we don’t have too many occasions to cultivate an attitude of patient endurance. Yet, when we examine scripture, we find that patience is a fruit of the Spirit, a characteristic of love, and a sign of spiritual maturity.
Patient endurance is not only a virtue, it’s a sign of trusting God. Trusting that He is still in control. Trusting that He is good. Trusting that He is love. Trusting that He has a perfect will in each of our lives. Trusting His Word. Trusting His ultimate power. We may face challenges and difficulties, experience disappointments and hurts, but God will keep us under the shadow of His wing. He has opened the door to salvation and eternal life through His own blood, and no one can keep us out.

It is so hard to imagine what heaven will be like. There are many descriptions of heaven, but I don’t think there’s anything that comes close to actually describing what it will be like. However, the glimpses we’re given through scripture are enough to keep us focused on eternal things. We will be honored and repaid for hardships due to following Jesus. We will receive a crown. We will be a pillar in God’s new temple. We will have God’s name written on our being. We will be in the glorious presence of the one and only true and holy Lord forever.

So no matter what you’re facing today – whether financial hardships, difficulties on the job, family stress, illness, hard relationships, failures, lostness of loved ones, chronic pain, death, or other major losses, let Jesus’ words be a reminder that He’s always with us, He knows, and He still has the power to bring about our good and His glory. We are but a mist and our troubles, not matter how painful at the time, are light and momentary compared to the glories of heaven. Let us rejoice in who He is and what is to come!

Prayer: Almighty God, You alone are worthy of praise. You alone sit on the throne of creation and no one can defeat You. You alone hold the key to heaven and You alone open and shut doors in my life. Thank You for Your great love. For Your great promises and salvation. I hide under the shadow of Your wing in the midst of troubles of this life. Help me to keep my focus on You. To be compassionate and sincere, but not faltering in my faith. While it feels like I have so little power on this earth, I know that Your power is within me to endure as I follow You and proclaim Your name in all the earth. Show me how You desire me to bring glory to you today, where I am, as I am.

Reflection questions/prayer prompts:

Lord, turn my eyes to gaze upon Your holiness and truth.

In what ways have I not kept God’s Word or denied His name?

Jesus, Reveal to me those around me who don’t know You and prompt me to pray for their salvation.

How can I cultivate patient endurance?

How can I not only hold fast to what I have in my relationship with Jesus, but grow in it?

What area of sin, complacency, or comfort do I need to conquer by the power of Jesus’ blood?

Holy Father, thank you for loving me as I am and too much to leave me where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment