Monday, June 11, 2018

Revelation Prayer Devotion Day 3


Day 3


Scripture focus: I, John, your brother and partner in the tribulation and the kingdom and the patient endurance that are in Jesus, was on the island called Patmos on account of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet saying, “Write what you see in a book and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.”
Revelation 1: 9-11

Application: We each have a unique calling as followers of Jesus. John the disciple, most certainly had an exceptionally unique calling. According to tradition, he is the only original apostle to have survived into old age. At best guess, he was in his eighties or nineties when this revelation was given to him. He had survived many tortures and persecution for following the Way (how early Christians were referred to) and was exiled to a prisoner island because of the Gospel.

Most of us can’t relate to that level of persecution for sharing Jesus. At most, we have experienced being uncomfortable, made fun of, dismissed, or ignored. This is changing for the worse in our country, for sure, but we have not yet experienced persecution as believers in Christ as others have in the past and around the world today. In this – partnering with our brothers and sisters in Christ as they’re experiencing persecution and tribulation – we can relate to John’s words. As we seek to love, serve, and obey Christ in loving and serving others for the advancement of His Kingdom, we can remember not only those who are lost, but those who are suffering for the Gospel.

We can partner with them in our prayers, awareness, and however else God calls. We can remember that there are churches today in modern day Turkey in the locations John’s letter went to that we can partner with. There are churches going through the same challenges and experiencing the same victories we read about in Revelation all over the world. How is God calling us to be a part of His universal Church? How is He calling you? What is He trying to convey to us today about His church? Our local church? How we individually play a role in what He’s saying? Let us each cultivate a habit of being in the Spirit to hear what the Lord has to say.

Prayer: Holy Father, we praise You for the gift of patient endurance when I go through trials and tribulations. Thank You for adopting me in Your family so I never go through these things alone. Thank You for the brothers and sisters in the faith You’ve given me in this faith family and in Your church around the world. Draw me to You and help me to eliminate everything in life that prohibits me from being in Your Spirit and hearing Your Word. Remind me to rest in You and listen with a heart cleansed by Your grace and mercy. May You receive all glory and honor and praise, as You alone are worthy. Amen.

Reflection questions/prayer prompts:

God, how are you calling me to be a part of Your church – locally and around the world?

Lord, reveal to me what may be hindering me from hearing Your Word.

How can I be more aware of and pray for my brothers and sisters in Christ around the world who are experiencing persecution and tribulation?

What does God want me to give up in order to spend more time with Him?

What difficult circumstances or times drew me closer to the Lord can I thank Him for?

Father, help me to see all fellow followers of You as partners in the Kingdom.

In what ways might God be calling me to have a greater understanding of patient endurance?

No comments:

Post a Comment