Friday, June 15, 2018

Revelation Prayer Devotion Day 5


Day 5



Scripture focus: When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades. Write therefore the things that you have seen, those that are and those that are to take place after this. As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands, the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.
Revelation 1;17-20

Application: These next few verses transition us from John describing what he saw when Jesus appeared to him to Jesus describing Himself. Before the transition, however, we see John’s response: he fell as though dead. This seems to be a reflex, an automatic, uncontrollable response to being in the presence of the Lord or any representation of Him (including angels reflecting His glory) throughout scripture. When humans are in the presence of God’s holiness we can’t help but to fall prostrate. Our great sinfulness comes into full clarity when compared to His righteousness.

But the Lord is merciful. I love that Jesus reaches out and touches John, as He did often to people when He walked the earth. At the same time His righteousness reveals our sinfulness, His mercy covers the sins of those who worship Him.

After imparting His physical hand and mercy on John, Jesus declares he is (and we are) not to fear. We have no reason to fear because Jesus is living, has always lived (is the first) and will always live (is the last). He conquered death! Sometimes this is so commonplace a concept in the Christian community, we lose the wonder of this truth. Death has no power compared to God. He conquers that which no human being has ever conquered. Physical death is certain for each one of us, no matter how we try to delay and deny it. But Jesus conquered physical death and offers us escape from eternal death. He holds the keys to death and hell. He is the key to heaven. This is why we have nothing to fear!

Prayer: Jesus, the first and last, the Living One, the One who conquered death and holds the keys to death and hell, I praise You. Keep reminding me who You are when I get distracted by the material possessions, decisions, relationships, hurts, and desires of this world. You and Your Kingdom matter more than these temporal things, yet they pull at me constantly. Give me a fresh vision of You every day to help me make choices and treat others in ways that honor and glorify You. Thank You for walking among the churches of this world as they are a part of Your church. Thank You that Your grace and mercy are always available to those who turn to You. Help me to remember that the people I worship with on Sunday mornings are Your imperfect, but forgiven children too. Most of them. Remind me that they may not all know You. Keep me so focused on You that I will help draw those who don’t know You into a relationship with You and those who do will be drawn into deeper knowledge of Your great and mighty love. Amen.

Reflection questions/prayer prompts:

Lord, help me see You with refreshed awe at who You are.

Why can I be free from fear in this life?

What does it mean that Jesus holds the keys to death and hell?

Holy God, remind me of how much grace You’ve poured out on me and show me where I haven’t poured out grace on others. Help me to stand on Your truth and exhibit grace to those in my life.

How can I be more aware of the truth of constant spiritual warfare around me and remember the presence of Your angels among us?

How can I better remember that Jesus walks among His churches and everything we do as a faith family should be to advance His Kingdom by making disciples?

Jesus, when I hurt, when I fear, when I doubt, when I’m discouraged, when I’m lonely, when I’m desperate, remind me that You died but now live forevermore and give me abundant life here in You and eternal life forever with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment